Feb 21, 2016

Quilty Fun Birthday Cake Banners

My daughter said she'd like a rainbow cake :)
This is what came to my mind, but maybe she meant layering the cake itself into rainbow colors...
This is the first time I've used a print for the background, I've always used Kona white.


It sure makes a different when I add the appliqué and the border!
I appliqued the names on with red Aurifil thread.


This is the first time I've tried "organic" machine quilting and I'm hooked!
You start at the middle top, and eyeball your way to the bottom.  
I move over 3 or 4 stitches and continue my way in the opposite direction.
The stitch lines are natural and uneven, just go with the flow.
Previously when I've machine quilted with vertical lines, they were all measured and straight.


I love the back too!
It's Rebecca's birthday today :)
Happy Birthday Rebecca!


My granddaughter Isabel turned one on February 11.
She is a gentle little girl, so I made her cake in soft colors.
The border doesn't stand out very well, I'm not sure what I was thinking about that!
The machine quilting is called "geometric".


I machine quilted from one corner to the middle and to the other corner to form a type of arrow head or triangle.
I did the same on the other side and the same on the top and the bottom.
From there, I shadow quilted.


The back is really cute with all the little cupcakes :)


I'm up todate on all my birthday banners for the year 2016.
Next year, I'll be making my two new grandchildren a quilty fun birthday banner for their first birthdays :)


If you missed it, I have a tutorial on Lori Holt's quilty fun birthday cakes, you can find it here.
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Both are super cute! I may need to try that organic quilting, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Birthday Banners! Love your quilting on both of them!

    ReplyDelete